Friday, October 24, 2008

The Red Ring of Death: A Pain in the Ass

The image you see above is my Xbox 360 Elite, plagued by the Red Ring of Death after a little over one year of use.

See, I'm pissed right now.  No hardware today should break after one year.  Hell, even Super Nintendos still work.  I know two people with working SNESs.  They're fucking ancient and still work.

It all happened like this:

Friday afternoon.  The end of a bad week in school.  I just wanted to relax.  After watching Law & Order for an hour, I decided to play on Xbox Live.

I turned on my 360 and tried playing the Mercenaries 2 demo.  The console did a weird freeze up while loading the game map.  There was some distortion in the picture.

I restarted my console and tried the demo again.  I got a little further this time: I got in the truck and after a few seconds of driving, the console did another weird freeze up.  Again, some picture distortion.

I restarted again, and this time tried the Need for Speed: Most Wanted demo.  It froze up before the main menu could fill up the screen.

I decided to restart again.  This time I tried playing Naruto: Rise of a Ninja.  As soon as the game map finished loading, the console froze up again.

So I decided to restart again.  I got the Red Ring of Death.

I tried one last time.  When I put the 360 on its side, I got a weird green screen.  I gave up after that.

So now I'm in the process of finding an easy solution.  I am trying to avoid sending my console to Microsoft, because I've heard that it takes weeks and that you might not get your hard drive back.  I don't even know if I'll get a 360 Elite back.

The warranty expired on June 14.  Fucking warranty runs out before I get the RRoD.  I sort of expected that to happen.

Any tricks that might help fix the problem are welcome.  "Get a PlayStation 3" is a legitimate answer.

EDIT: I decided to send my 360 to Microsoft for now.  I arranged a repair on Sunday, and got the shipping box on... Thursday or Friday.  I'll need to check.

EDIT 11/7/08: Microsoft has recieved my 360 and are fixing it.

EDIT 11/8/08: 360 is fixed!  Expect a post when I get it back.

2 comments:

onyx/StoredGrunt said...

They should send you an elite back. I know how you feel about it dude. I got mine when I was playing halo 2 on it.

David said...

You could send it in for a fee, or maybe for free since they extended the warranty to 3 years. And if you send it in, keep the hard drive with you. You could try the well-known "towel trick" but you could kill your Xbox.